Search for Internships

Monday, April 9, 2018

The Farmhouse Preschool


Image result for the farmhouse preschool johnston ri
Where: The Farmhouse Preschool   

Address:  2320 Plainfield Pike, Johnston RI
Description of the overall mission of this organization: "Our mission is to provide a safe and nurturing learning environment, which allows children to acquire a higher level of thinking through self and environmental exploration. As a childcare facility, we meet the diverse needs of each individual child. Our curriculum encourages and incorporates family and community involvement. We build the foundation for successful development in all areas of social, emotional, physical and cognitive learning".
Ages of youth served: 6 weeks to 6 years
Name of Mentor: Nicole Houlihan (Director)
Hours worked: Around my school schedule, we are open from 7am-6pm I always worked monday- thursday 8:45-4:30
Description of your role and duties: My role was hands on, I worked in the toddler classroom, ages 18 months to 3 years.  I would also help out in the preschool rooms when needed. Daily activities include making lunches, potty training/ diaper changes.  Following the implanted curriculum. I also helped to make monthly lesson plans that were used in the classroom. Throughout the month we also have ceramics and kidsbus come to the site which get the children involved in the community. It should be mentioned that we also have donkeys, goats and bunnies on site. I also went over 500 hours in my time here.
Description of the culture of the place: In the office there are two people in charge, Nicole and Katie who is the education coordinator. We do have owners but I never met them during my whole internship as they primarily reside at the sister school.  For dress, I could wear what I wanted as long as it was appropriate, I.E. the fingertip rule for shorts and skirts. And shirts had to have 2 fingers. Basically, make sure if a child pulls on your outfit, you are still covered.  We communicate via Text, if there is ever a snow delay, I also did not work Fridays so I would have a staff member text me the weekly schedule.
Additional Requirements: To work in child care one must complete 20 hours of professional development. This was not an issue as our YDEV classes count.
Special notes on process of getting this internship:  Call! (401) 432-7776 As there is no website, links to apply for a job, it is best to call Farmhouse and speak to Nicole.
Other internship opportunities with this organization:  You could potentially work in any classroom to get your feel for what age group you enjoy working with.

What three TAGS would you use to label this internship?
Preschool,    hands-on, paid

Your name:  Haley Fera
Your cohort:  5
Your email address if others can contact you:  haleyfera@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment