Search for Internships

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

First Years Learning Center



First Years Learning Center
1400 Elmwood Avenue Cranston, RI 02910

Description of the overall mission of this organization: First Years is committed to providing quality daycare and learning opportunities for children from infants to preschool age.
Ages of youth served: 6 weeks to 5 years
Mentor: Nicole Hernandez
Hours worked: 4 days a week, 20 hours (3 to 6 ½ hour days)
Description of your role and duties:
Half of the week would be spent teaching in my normal toddler room.  My day includes serving the kids breakfast, lunch and snack throughout the day. I do circle time, plan centers and facilitate free play. I also get the kids ready for nap and help clean up the center while they are sleeping.  The other half of the week I do the same thing with the kids ages 3 - 5.  During my times with my mentor I would learn about the standards and how the curriculum is made.  I focused a lot on learning how to be culturally sensitive in the classroom to prepare me for my internship project.
Description of the culture of the place:
  • There are about 2 - 3 teachers in each room
  • There are about 10 employees all together
  • The head teacher, who is state-certified in early childhood education
  • There is also a registered nurse on staff
  • We wear a staff shirt with casual (informal) but appropriate pants and closed toes shoes
Additional Requirements: Must be able to provide your own transportation to center
Special notes on process of getting this internship: I was working there at the time
Other internship opportunities with this organization:
What three TAGS would you use to label this internship? Preschool, curriculum, toddlers

Melissa Choiniere
Cohort 3

No comments:

Post a Comment