Search for Internships

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Progreso Latino


Name of Organization: Progreso Latino
Address: 626 Broad St. Central Falls, RI 02863
Description of the overall mission of this organization: Progreso Latino, Inc. is a multi-service, non-profit, community based organization located in Central Falls. Our mission is to empower Rhode Island’s Latino and immigrant communities to achieve greater self-sufficiency and socio-economic progress by providing transformational programs that support personal growth and social change.
Ages of youth served: Toddlers-12 years old
Name of Mentor: Ami Awad
Hours worked: (200+, MWTHF, M&W 1:00-5, TH 9-1:30pm, F 9-5)
Description of your role and duties: I work with the afterschool program, and I am currently the After School Coordinator (a payed position). My initial tasks were being with the kids and also planning a curriculum with activities and enrichment programs. When I first started my internship it was unpaid. There was no structure in the program and they were in need of a coordinator. After about two months I mentioned I was interested in the position. I had an interview and a few weeks later I officially started. Right now I do both administrative duties and hands on. I plan and organize for each week and implement the activities.

Description of the culture of the place: Just about everyone in the organization speaks Spanish, some only speak Spanish. If you do not speak the language communication can be difficult. However everyone is very friendly and welcoming. There are many employees in the entire organization, I personally work with about 6. For dress, I choose to dress Business Casual on a regular basis, it is not a requirement.
Additional Requirements: BCI
Special notes on process of getting this internship: For Swrk 325, my community for the major project was Central Falls, and part of the final paper was to find a social organization. Progreso Latino was recommended to us, and after meeting with the Director of Social Services (Ami Awad), I thought it would be the perfect site for me. A few days after the meeting I sent her an email stating that I was looking for an internship and I believed I could be a great asset for the organization.
Other internship opportunities with this organization: Progreso Latino has many programs with potential internships;  Citizenship Consortium, Education, Adult Education, Early Childhood, Health & Wellness, Housing Advocacy, Prevention, Immigration, Senior Programs, Youth Programs, Food Pantry, Victims of Crimes (VOCA), VITA Site - Free Income Tax Services.

What three TAGS would you use to label this internship: Administrative, Leadership, Curriculum

Your name: Brittany Waters
Your cohort: 3
Your email address if others can contact you: brittany_waters@outlook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment